Government must introduce new visa for international students to be more ‘welcoming’, university leaders say

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I thought we were becoming a xenophobic country where all foreigners were to be treated with disdain as they are only here to abuse our world class health care and benefit system. What are we missing out on? Oh yes, new talent, ideas, outlook, culture, diversity, tolerance....

Best comment!!! Love this!!! And yes am a foreigner who got educated here in the UK.

Aminath Adam Manik you and everyone else are very welcome by many of us here.

UK 'missing out' on overseas students

And the key word there is 'tolerance'.

Simon Lee not suggesting your xenophobic, but if social media was to be anything to go by seems we are more xenophobic than I ever previously feared. Especially on Brexit pages.

Look at all the high school drop outs giving their opinions on students who actually stayed in education.

Exactly.

I didn’t waste my time at uni, bet I have a higher iq and salary than you! Hahaha.

Matthew Hyams one out of two isn't bad.

Matthew Hyams I mean that's preety reductive. University isn't only about salaries. Someone does have to further science.

High school dropouts... how do you know they’re high school dropouts?

Talk about using completely made up assumptions to nurture a false statement.

Luke Alexander You just have to look at the profiles of the most vociferous posters.

Luke Alexander you're making a few assumptions of your own.

Luke Alexander bit Americanism I thought. I don’t know anyone who “dropped out from high school” do you?
I could understand university dropouts because that is more possible.

Matthew Hyams If you earn 1p over NMW you are probably being over payed.

Charalampos Koundourakis the presupposition of my insinuated inferiority because I don’t have a degree and therefore shouldn’t have an opinion is pretty reductive!

Lol at 'Blair McIntire'. A troll who doesn't understand that our system does not have drop outs, or graduates, or that a photo of a Ford Focus does not prove British citizenship.

Government must introduce new visa for international students to be more ‘welcoming’, univ...JPG

Gillie BG your Profile looks more dodgy than mine lol. How was that French sounding School you went to? Get a good education?

Staying in education does not guarantee higher salary or overall well-being. Quite a statement to say people for what ever reason didn’t follow the uni path to comment on them being lesser then someone with a degree?

I should imagine the massive cost as compared to international fees across the world also has something to do with it. My son who is British could go to Amsterdam and their international fees (thinking brexit) are so cheap he can do 1-3 years there for the price of 1 year in the UK as a citizen!

I wanted to go to grad school in the UK, I was accepted into 4 different uni's in London, but they charge double tuition for international students. I'm from the US, so it was basically the same price as grad school there, which of course is ridiculously expensive. So, I got my master in France instead. I would have loved the opportunity to live in the UK for a year, and the potential to work afterwards. My grandmother was Scottish, but bc the US broke away from England I am not granted any ancestry citizenship like the commonwealth. It's quite disappointing.

Ofcourse ... why else anyone would come there and pay heavy fee ?

Yes I greatly endorse the fact of allowing them to remain in the country because they have acquire some education and training and so the level of techniques will be high on technology which will greatly improve the growth of the country's economy.

Yes , as long as they pay or their country pays all the costs upfront for their course .

They pay double tuition fees, that is why colleges and universities try to attract foreign students. They are usually the largest source of income for post secondary institutions.

If students who hold a student visa (Tier-4) have finished their college work and all paper work has been handed in they may remain for a further 4 months in which they can work full time (but can not take a permanent position).
After the 4 months are up they must either return to their own country or apply for a work visa (Tier-2). They can continue to work while their application is processed.

Brexit is causing so much confusion, so students will prefer to move to stable countries with favourable policies.

There is still prestige in being UK educated, even if the University is not high in the ranking tables. Universities now have to run as a business and I applaud the higher fee structure in place, to help them balance the books. Student visa abuse is already widespread(over stayers and those who work rather than attend). UK degrees should not be a ticket to stay in the UK, in my view. Overseas graduates may apply for other types of permission to return to the UK, for work after their course ends. If they are genuinely the best and brightest the process is not very onerous. Why change something that already works?

Yes Graduated and masters students pay full international fees to universities and support themselves during their studies, should be given chance to stay for post study work after their studies..

This will be beneficial for then and UK in shape of getting highly skilled people in work spaces which is beneficial for businesses and jobs and country as a whole..

It's done in Germany you study here and if you find a job in one year since you graduate you can remain. I think it's a good thing.