LeBron James NBA star regrets giving son his name

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I think you have to be a real narcissist to name your child after yourself anyway; and then coming out and saying "I'm worried in case he thinks he has to be as wonderful as me" - well, what can you say?!

This was my first thought until I heard part of the story on the radio. It did not sound like he did this out of narcissism, he was trying to express how he grew up without a father and when he had a child he wanted to be what his father wasn’t. It sounded like the naming had more to do with an attempt to reenforce a father-son bond for his son.

Well, my boyfriend was named after his father, and hid dad is about as narcissistic as they come, so I'm not about to disagree. I mean, I was named after my grandfather, who died before I was born, and that's uncomfortable for me. There's always the unspoken comparison in one's mind, the unspoken expectation to "be like" your namesake. I'm glad my sister chose to give her two kids names unique to them when the time came.

Chill. James is the most ordinary of names and no-one outside of the US has ever heard of James LeBron. He'll be fine.

I'm not going to attempt to spell that troll's name.

Now this is the kind of hard-hitting, investigative journalism we've come to expect from BBC News.

I never could stand people who named their sons after them, but LeBron, you're already sending a message to your son that you don't think he can possibly measure up to you, which is as arrogant as you can get. I don't feel sorry for him so much because of his name as I do because he has an egomaniac father like you.

I'm incredibly disappointed in you BBC. You took an important story about a a guy who grew up without his father, and now has a legacy and a son, and you boiled it down to a clickbaity title just to get views. You wouldn't have to resort to such cheap tactics if you guys talked about the important stuff that people need to know about. What happened to the investigation into the Panama Papers? You guys write so many great pieces, this almost feels unnecessary.

LeBron James NBA star regrets giving son his name.JPG

Here's the full-quote in context, for anyone who cares to know:

In it, comedian Jon Stewart asks James, "What do you say to your kid, living up to you being their dad? They're playing the same sport that you played better than anyone else in the world has ever played it. How do you give them peace of mind that they don't have to be you?"

The NBA star responds to the room that includes Maverick Carter, Odell Beckham Jr., Candace Parker, Draymond Green, Michael Bennett and Snoop Dogg:

"I still regret giving my 14-year-old (LeBron James Jr. turns 14 in a few months) my name because of that. When I was younger, I didn't have a dad, so my whole thing was when I have a kid, not only is he gonna be a junior, I'm gonna do everything that this man didn't do. They're gonna experience things that I didn't experience. The only thing I can do is give them the blueprint, and it's up to them to take their own course whenever that time comes."

I don't see regret so much as I see a father who worries about people expecting his son to be him, and wanting to offer his son the level of support he never had from his father growing up. It's pretty touching and heartwarming. For a man who grew up without a father, it makes sense he would want his son to feel so loved by him that he passed his name down to him.

How is this even news?

"You must believe you can. You must find the place inside yourself where anything is possible. It starts with a dream. Add confidence, and it becomes a belief. Add commitment, and it becomes a goal in sight. Add action, and it becomes a part of your life. Add determination and time, and your dream becomes a reality. When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, Never Give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”