Why the UK has such cheap food

admin

Administrator
Staff member
English food is not cheap. Not if you want to eat well. I think that the only more expensive shop we did was in Switzerland. Uk has loads food that is cheap but also crap.

It has crap food that's cheap. Stuff that's good for you is never buy 1 get 1 free... obesity coukd be culled if good stuff was on a budget.

But how does the cost compare to income? In counties where groceries are expensive their income tends to be much higher.

Absolutely cheaper and the variety in comparison to what’s available in Australia is incredible. I was agog on a recent trip to England; grocery shopping was a wonderful experience!

Cheap and Rubbish Food.... and some of them feels like we just eating Plastic.... no taste and no quality...

Does no one else think that this article is preparing us for massive post Brexit increases in price? Spend here as a proportion of income may be comparatively low. Is this because we can’t afford good food as such a huge proportion of our incomes go on housing?

We find groceries in UK are much more expensive than here in the Netherlands ...especially healthy foods!!

Wonder where the average salary goes compared to europe, foods cheap but housing, gas and water i would imagine are higher on average.

All the sweet and fattening food is cheap. Decent healthy options, are much more pricey. Don't understand how foods full of pesticides are cheaper than those without.

Just moved back to Australia after 5 years in the uk and the price of food is so high.

This is utter nonsense. Compare prices (and taste) of fresh fruit and vegetables etc between here and Crete for example.

I have been visiting Scotland for over a decade, and that is something that I have always mentioned: food in the grocery shops is good and cheap. During my first visits, I was so surprised that I could find better and cheaper vegetables, wine, etc, than I would find in Brazil, for example. One can compare it with several other contries, the outcome is better for the UK.

I have been paying what I paid several years ago for many basic food items, Shredded wheat, sugar, baked beans, tea bags, instant coffee, all of these are the top brands.

Food shopping in Spain is much cheaper.

Compared with Food Shopping in France, it's much cheaper!

If you touch bread like that yes..

Germany is a lot cheaper and the quality is better too.

This food is cheap and nasty; this bread is only fit for animals.....

May be most if the time its cheap quality ??

Why the UK has such cheap food.JPG

Cheap.....hmmmm ok then I knew it were the 1st of the month but didn't think it were April the 1st.

No, there are a few 'value' supermarkets that are all so far away from most people that the extra fuel cost would offset any savings made... Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsburys etc you're still paying £1-£1.10 for a loaf of shitey mass produced pre-sliced bread.