Watch BTS Address the United Nations With an Emotional Speech About Self-Acceptance

admin

Administrator
Staff member
BTS has raised over a million dollars for UNICEF's End Violence Love Myself campaign that they started last year. 100% of their Love Myself merch and 3% of their total album sales go to the campaign to protect children and teens from violence around the world. There's a reason why they were asked to deliver a speech (this is just a short clip from the full version), so educate yourselves with some facts and not some nasty abrupt judgements. Their music promotes positivity and love, something that is well needed in a time of so much negativity and hatred...
Boys, I'm immensely proud of you!!! You taught me the importance of accepting, forgiving, and loving myself when I felt like giving up.

"Love yourself" I am so proud of the lovely BTS!!

Some rude and salty people comment make me disgust.

I so love the intellect of this man.

The context of this speech?

My daughter adores this group. If only their concert tickets didn’t cost $300 a pop ...

Ironic that a non native English speaker gives a much more eloquent and moving speech at the UN than anything we've seen come from POTUS.

"What is your name? What excites you and makes your heart beat?
Tell me your story, i wanna hear your voice i want to hear your conviction, no matter who you are, where u from, ur skin color, ur gender identity. Just speak yourself"
-Our President

What an amazing inspiring wonderful speech! Keep going.

I love Kim NamJoon, i love best leader for BTS.

Namjoon I hope you know you are hella handsome and you have no idea how much I love you and of course all your fans love you so much.

omg this speech can really make one cry....but cry in a GOOD way. watch it!!!!

Please search for the full-length speech to understand the meaning before commenting or wondering.

Huh?

Beautiful words but their reality is other! He's really a good actor!

I would love to know where he learned English with that accent. It’s very interesting.

So proud of you, Kim Nam Joon as known as RM - Leader of BTS.

OMG United Nations AND BTS? Sounds like something you'd be interested in.

BTS is a global ambassador for UNICEF and their END Violence campaign, which seeks to help at risk children and youth who experience violence. BTS and their fans have raised over $1 million dollars over the last year to support the END Violence campaign. Today at the UN they were helping to launch a new global initiative called Generation Unlimited, which is aimed at increasing education and employment opportunities for youth world wide. Namjoon's speech draw on his personal experience and sought to encourage young people to have the courage to not only dream but to discover their own voice, speakup for themselves and to build a better world. He is encouraging youth to believe in themselves and not to be give up, even if they make mistakes.

Love you, Kim Nam Joon, Love you, BTS.
You guys are incredible.

Powerful speech in the sense that a damp sock is a powerful siege weapon.

okay, from this - I kinda understand your obsession.

speaking for an entire generation, we love that.

MAN bts is all over my feed this days, are they that big?

This is really awesome.

BTS has raised over a million dollars for UNICEF's End Violence Love Myself campaign that they started last year. 100% of their Love Myself merch and 3% of their total album sales go to the campaign to protect children and teens from violence around the world. There's a reason why they were asked to deliver a speech (this is just a short clip from the full version), so educate yourselves with some facts and not some nasty abrupt judgements. Their music promotes positivity and love, something that is well needed in a time of so much negativity and hatred...
Boys, I'm immensely proud of you!!! You taught me the importance of accepting, forgiving, and loving myself when I felt like giving up.

While his speech may not be deep or insightful enough for some people, we can’t deny that K-pop culture has a big influence over the youths in Asia. Having a widely idolised group such as BTS confronting taboo subjects such as depression, suicide, and self-love amongst youth is something we should celebrate, and not criticise. Not discounting the fact that English is not the first language in Korea and many countries in Asia. Was never a fan of K-pop culture but salute their effort to use their popularity and influence amongst the youths for something more than just entertainment.

FULL TRANSCRIPT OF HIS SPEECH: "Thank you, Mr. Secretary General, UNICEF Executive Director, Excellencies and distinguished guests from across the world.

"My name is Kim Nam Jun, also known as RM, the leader of the group BTS. It’s an incredible honour to be invited to an occasion with such significance for today’s young generation.

"Last November, BTS launched the “Love Myself” campaign with UNICEF, building on our belief that “true love first begins with loving myself.” We have been partnering with UNICEF’s #ENDviolenceprogram to protect children and young people all over the world from violence.

"Our fans have become a major part of this campaign with their action and enthusiasm. We truly have the best fans in the world!

"I would like to begin by talking about myself.

"I was born in Ilsan, a city near Seoul, South Korea. It’s a beautiful place, with a lake, hills, and even an annual flower festival. I spent a happy childhood there, and I was just an ordinary boy.

"I would look up at the night sky in wonder and dream the dreams of a boy. I used to imagine that I was a superhero, saving the world.

"In an intro to one of our early albums, there is a line that says, “My heart stopped…I was maybe nine or ten.”

"Looking back, that’s when I began to worry about what other people thought of me and started seeing myself through their eyes. I stopped looking up at the stars at night. I stopped daydreaming. I tried to jam myself into moulds that other people made. Soon, I began to shut out my own voice and started to listen to the voices of others. No one called out my name, and neither did I. My heart stopped and my eyes closed shut. So, like this, I, we, all lost our names. We became like ghosts.

"I had one sanctuary, and that was music. There was a small voice in me that said, ‘Wake up, man, and listen to yourself!” But it took me a long time to hear music calling my name.

"Even after making the decision to join BTS, there were hurdles. Most people thought we were hopeless. Sometimes, I just wanted to quit

"I think I was very lucky that I didn’t give it all up.

"I’m sure that I, and we, will keep stumbling and falling. We have become artists performing in huge stadiums and selling millions of albums.

"But I am still an ordinary, twenty-four-year-old guy. If there’s anything that I’ve achieved, it was only possible because I had my other BTS members by my side, and because of the love and support of our ARMY fans.

"Maybe I made a mistake yesterday, but yesterday’s me is still me. I am who I am today, with all my faults. Tomorrow I might be a tiny bit wiser, and that’s me, too. These faults and mistakes are what I am, making up the brightest stars in the constellation of my life. I have come to love myself for who I was, who I am, and who I hope to become.

"I would like to say one last thing.

"After releasing the “Love Yourself” albums and launching the “Love Myself” campaign, we started to hear remarkable stories from our fans all over the world, how our message helped them overcome their hardships in life and start loving themselves. These stories constantly remind us of our responsibility.

"So, let’s all take one more step. We have learned to love ourselves, so now I urge you to “speak yourself.”

"I would like to ask all of you. What is your name? What excites you and makes your heart beat?

"Tell me your story. I want to hear your voice, and I want to hear your conviction. No matter who you are, where you’re from, your skin colour, gender identity: speak yourself.

"Find your name, find your voice by speaking yourself.

"I’m Kim Nam Jun, RM of BTS.

"I’m a hip-hop idol and an artist from a small town in Korea.

"Like most people, I made many mistakes in my life.

"I have many faults and I have many fears, but I am going to embrace myself as hard as I can, and I’m starting to love myself, little by little.

"What is your name? Speak Yourself!"

Watch BTS Address the United Nations With an Emotional Speech About Self-Acceptance.JPG

I know the video here is just cut short so his will was not fully delivered. However, I still grasp his idea here clearly. I can understand why some people don't get it because he used some metaphor. But I think it can be easily grasped to me. He used to live happily when he was a child but then when he little grew up he was moulded to live up to people's expectation and that is what a lot of youngsters now have to suffer from. So he said he shut his voice out, which was a metaphor about how he lived in people's way and stop daydreaming and stop thinking or loving himself. But then BTS members and music lifted him up and he found his self again, and lived his true value. Thereby, he wanted to help all the young can find their value and love themselves. Then finally SPEAK THEMSELVES raise voice for the young like what he was doing.
To me this was exceedingly meaningful and he was reminding me of loving myself before doing anything. And as being lost in life's maze, I suppose this was more than precious.