'Third of girls' harassed in school uniform

admin

Administrator
Staff member
So the report says it's all the males fault. Well I disagree with that. Yes, some of the fault lies with males but some of the fault also lies with the girls and their parents.
The part of the uniform I am referring to is the skirt or more appropriately its length. Private schools enforce uniform regulations and that usually means skirt length to below the knee. Council schools do not and skirt length can best be described as mini-esque at best. And then they wonder why they are getting undue attention. Some of the onus must lie with parents to ensure their children go to school suitably dressed And as such to avoid such attention.
Before anyone berrates me let me be clear - derogatory name calling, touching, feeling up , groping etc is completely unacceptable. All adults should know better where a minor is concerned.

Michael Findlay as someone who constantly wore correct uniform at school (skirt past the knee, shirt and tie done properly) and still had to deal with this; I can't say I agree, yes some girls wear their skirts shorter to school, but most do it for fashion not to be 'sexy' (no matter how parents try look out for their child's uniform, many roll their skirts on the way to school) it may gain attention yes, but why are grown men harassing little girls? Little girls are not pieces of meat. Regardless of what they wear.

The sadness in this is the blaming of it on what a girl is wearing. A female has the right to walk down the street in a bikini if she so chooses without a SINGLE negative (and yes cat calls, wolf whistles or comments on appearance are negative) comment. It is not ok. We should not have to warn girls from such a young age don't go out alone, stay in a group, don't leave a drink unattended, if you get comments don't say anything (which can result in aggressive comments) if you get comments just smile and ignore it (which can then be seen as encouraging), never walk home alone, stick to main roads, always have your keys ready, don't use headphones at night, look like you are talking on your mobile, always have taxi money...........the list goes on!

"learning how to handle it is part of growing up". This sentence is everything that's wrong with this post. We shouldn't HAVE to learn how to handle it. Men just shouldn't do it! How difficult is it to notice someone and appreciate they are attractive but NOT act in a way that makes them feel threatened and/or uncomfortable?!

I remember being 12 walking past a house that was being renovated and the builders whistling and yelling sexy legs at me. My skirt was down to my knees so not like it was short but it made me so paranoid and feel weird I started wearing trousers and would only wear trousers until I finished school. It's sad that it still happens and it's all ages. Working in retail a few years ago I had served a couple of school girls then this older bloke who was in his 70's who proceeded to tell me "if only I was 50 years younger" it made me shudder.

So sad how many women on here trying to justify grown men lusting, jeering and touching young underage girls in school uniforms. - I would definitely be doing damage to anyone who did that to mine.

I’m surprised how low that estimate is. The amount of abuse hurled at me while in my uniform was practically unending. Grown men with their school girl fantasy yelling and pantomiming sexual acts at a 14 y/o. It’s hard to have a good opinion of men when you’re constantly seeing the worst.

Humans will be humans...it's NOT ALWAYS THE FEMALES that are getting unwanted sexual attention ..where's the sexual equality in these articles....??? Females want it when it suits it seems but want all the attention of the world in sexual assault/ hassle/abuse...etc...
🤔 something wrong there don't you think!!??

Oh yh what universe do you live in? Do you see adult women heckling schoolboys? NEVER happens.

'Third of girls' harassed in school uniform.JPG

I can't believe the amount of comments that insinuate fault of the young school girls! Blaming 'lack of modesty' or skirt length for the reason that they are sexually harassed? Would you say that if it happened to your daughter or granddaughter?! Are they asking for it? Disgusting.

Target the harrassers, not the girls. This is like "they're asking for it" in a night-out situation. Women shouldn't need to cover up completely to be left alone.

Well, have you seen the "schoolgirl" costumes for Halloween? How about when Brittney Spears solidified it as something to be sensualized?

It's a two way problem. Girls roll their skirts to look trendy because that's what girls do. They like to look attractive. And men respond. The balance is off because older men join in and know they shouldn't. I don't see why girls should have to adopt male dress.... Trousers... Although trousers etc are more or less unisex. Maybe schools should have a day in the year when boys wear skirts in solidarity with girls and to experience the cat calling etc before they leave school. Then as men they would realise it's wrong.