The place where men cut their skin to resemble crocodiles

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Wakanda forever!

This is what I was looking for between the comments
:v thanks.

Well let's not judge we still have people who go to church and pray to an imaginary fairy.

Who said I'm a atheist? And why would the imaginary sky fairy be upset for not believing in him if you live a peaceful loving life and not harm anyone?
However the people of the church who believe kiddie fiddling is OK as long as you do a few hail Marys afterwards, Sky fairy going to let them off?

Meh in the end who cares who believes in what.... We are all gonna die in the end...

"The crocodile is a symbol of power, we fear them but draw energy from that power."

The crocodile is a powerful animal, a highly evolved predator. I imagine these guys aren't afraid of much. They know they can withstand ordeals.The closest thing we have to a rite of passage is getting hammered on your 21st birthday.

Why some men in Papua New Guinea cut their skin to resemble crocodiles.

Looks more like an allergy to Rice Crispies.

Saw this on TV /rituals —- incredible to see such hardcore belief and such pain in these rituals. Brilliant TV even if a hard watch at times.

I am sure this practice has been going on for some time, so how does this make the news?
Slow day in the BBC office?

The place where men cut their skin to resemble crocodiles.JPG
Saw this during the Rituals programme on BBC 2. Love the series. Last Friday nights episode made me happy I'm an atheist.

This is not new though in fact it's probably the most ancient cultural modifications humans do (besides circumcision, piercing etc). Most anthropologists think that skin-cutting/scarification is what predated tattooing (they essentially started just putting ink on the cuts they made). We know this is so because even most ancient populations outside of Africa heavily still did this, at least until a few decades ago (pretty much aborigines in Southeast Asia like Philippines, Malaysia, Papuans, some Melanesian and Australian aborigines scarify even when 'later' migrants heavily tattooed, great example is interior of the Philippines' Luzon island).

Not new, but I still find it pretty cool. But then I'm the guy who had scarification done via having the skin removed to resemble the Key To Hell from the Sandman graphic series.

Someone has been watching a bit too much Black Panther.