Tesco ditches 'best before' dates on more fruit and veg

admin

Administrator
Staff member
It's pure common sense to know when food is edible or not. I do fear for the human race if they can't see that themselves.

This is such a bad idea. I live alone and my fruit and veg last several days - I use the "best before" to have an idea of how long I can keep each veg for and, therefore, which ones to cook first. Not knowing will just make me waste food that appears bad in the morning because I couldn't control and plan myself better.

And now none of their nearly out of date food has to go to food charities, maximising profits by pretending to be socially responsible, go Tesco!

I also wondered who decided we wouldn't but "wonky" fruit and veg ? Does size and shape really matter ?

Nice cover up story Tesco. Clever way to reduce the amount of perishable wastage that Tesco has to destroy and cannot sell so now they will have a day or two extra on shelf.

I grew up before "sell by" or "best before" dates. Use your eyes, use your nose, that's what parents did when shopping, it's common sense. You don't get these dates in small business owners shops, greengrocers butchers bakers etc, I don't see a problem.

If shoppers accepted that they can't always get exactly what they wanted 24/7, there wouldn't be oversupply and therefore waste.

Don't go by dates anyway, common sense tells you when something has gone off. A shop wouldn't sell us some blue cheese once because the date had passed, absolutely nothing wrong with it. If cheddar gets mould on it I scrape it off and eat it, it's fine.

Back in the old days fruit and veg, meat bought from butchers, never had sell by dates on, and we survived.

Only issue with this is how they rotate the food in store with no dates or dispose of the ones past the sell by dates
😕The potatoes that came in my food shop last week were mouldy and sprouting, with no date.... clearly too past it to sell yet they still did!

I do hope Tesco can ditch all the plastic packages... or at least don’t purchase stuff from the producers in the packages ... it should come in huge crates then go straight out onto he shelves in bulk then we could pick just what we need hence reduce waste.

My eyes,my nose and my mouth with common sense tell me when food becomes non edible,cream is perfectly good to use sometimes a week after the so called use by date.
Terrible waste going on..

Tesco ditches 'best before' dates on more fruit and veg.JPG

A really big waste of food happens in staff canteens and schools where leftover food is in big quantities. Where I work they would rather throw it away than give you a tiny bit more salad etc...

Well, usually supermarkets also lower prices when « best before » date approaches. Now they won’t be doing this and consumer will end up paying more for less than fresh products.

A lot of people don't know how to tell if the produce is ok or not because so many buy ready done food. You can buy cut up fruit, veg and salad stuff. Also ready made mash, yorkshire puddings and gravy. People seem to think they are the only ones who have ever had busy lives and that they don't have time for cooking.

This is what happens when the nanny state dictates what people can or can't do - the ability to think for themselves is lost!

This isn't about cutting food waste, it's about Tesco getting away with selling more at full price to unsuspecting customers. Expect to see more occurrences of people unknowingly buying mouldy food. I'm glad I stopped shopping at Tesco now.