Police fury at 'disgusting' bystanders who filmed injured officer knocked off his bike instead of helping him

admin

Administrator
Staff member
"...the difference between us and you is if you ever need our help in future, we still respond."

That's literally their job, though. It's not like they're doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. Apples and oranges.

They dont. They cherry pick which laws they will and will not enforce. Our local station had a PC Rozzer - happily giving out his fictitious name.

Kind of missing the point, they are saying in a situation where they needed someone to help no one could be bothered. Any decent person would help someone in need regardless of if it's their job, it's the decent thing to do.

I haven't missed the point; I have an opposing point.

There could be countless reasons other than callousness or apathy to explain why the bystanders didn't help. Police, on the other hand, have a duty of care... and they still don't apply the law equitably or help when they should.

The situation is so much more complicated than "people these days..."

When I was small my dad raced out of the door and across the road to help a copper on the ground. Decades later as an old man he had seen another side to the police - a family member became one and exploited a child. One officer was prosecuted for something else - the other took sickness and early retirement on a full pension. The child got no justice and never would. At that point my dad said given the same situation - he would no longer help.

What's disgusting is that most of these comments suggest an emotionally charged and unlikely explanation that human beings have suddenly become sociopaths, when in fact there are much more reasonable explanations for why no one helped.

I'm not even defending those who didn't help; I'm simply offering an alternate rationalization for why they failed to act. For all we know they were scared, which is a perfectly legitimate reaction to witnessing a traumatic event.

Morally you should go to the aid of any human regardless of their age, sex, colour, religion, occupation. We shouldn’t discriminate or stereotype and should lead by example. The vast majority of cops out there do a great job and would climb into a burning building to save us which isn’t in their job description. Where has our humanity and compassion gone?

I fear for your kids Molly with the kind of nonsense you must be filling their heads with. You ought to be disgusted with yourself.

Disgusting behaviour. They'd be the first complaining if the police filmed them instead of helping!

Errrr, that’s pretty much what the police do.

I had a vehicle fire on the m60. The police attended along with fire and highways, they managed to tweet some pictures. I spoke to both the fire and highways but didn’t even know the police had attended until it came on my twitter feed.

Im not surprised. Nobody cares anymore and true, filming it is more important than helping a fellow human.

While I don't personally enjoy the appeal in instantly pulling out one's phone to film everything, I can understand other's impulses. You see something intense happening and you want to capture it. Additionally, depending on the extent of the crash and the presence of other officers, civilians might not have felt it necessary or wanted for them to get invovled.

The Great British people. Unfortunately there are fewer who now help those in need. Such a sad reflection on our country.

Perhaps it’s because we don’t normally see any police , they too busy covering up things , so really I can understand people filming this, but someone could have helped the officer , sad state of affairs really.

Todays society as if they have grown another limb,surprised any one saw it they noraly walk into you with head down looking at a device grrrrr.

It’s called ‘the bystander effect’ and has been around for centuries.

That doesn't say much for Coventry. My notions of its old English charm are gone forever after this.

Did they have a crime reference number? if not sorry we cant assist you. Works both ways.

I would question whether this is a new phenomenon. "Rubbernecking" on motorways has been a thing for years before mobile telephones were around. Most people will help others. I wouldn't recommend just taking a look unless you intend to help because you might see something you wish you hadn't.

Hope they need help Sometimes when filming it is more important!

Weak pathetic cowards filming. What a disgrace. I hope the officer recovers quickly x.

Such a sad comment on what we have become.

Robots, programmed to film. No humanity left in them. Luckily there is still compassion out there. We are not all morons.

Police fury at 'disgusting' bystanders who filmed injured officer knocked off his bike instead...JPG

really???
People who escape war are ignored and pictured like an invasion of scrounges, and now there’s surprise if a guy who fell of his bike is ignored?
...........and let’s take pride on the values of our society.

I will say that if someone isn't already helping the injured, you should probably be trying to help if you know how; put pressure on bleeding things, keep broken things from moving, try to keep the back straight and keep the injured from moving too much if there is a chance the spine has been injured.

If somebody is already on the scene helping and knows more than you do, you can help by recording. You may be able to catch important info to pass off to paramedics (like allergies, mechanism of injury, current medications, ect.), or police (people involved, time of incident, order of events, and details such as clothing colors or items important to the investigation.

If you don't know what to do, call the authorities, if somebody else already has and you still don't know how to help, start recording.