Man bun hairstyle 'gets British Airways worker the sack'

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Every company has a right to set a dress code that dictates the appearance of employees representing them. If the employee doesn't like the company's standards, don't work there.

Dress code pertains to clothing. Hairstyle, tattoos, and anything part of your body is your business.

it’s a dress code, I have one where I work...and will most certainly lose my job if I don’t conform....

because conservative countries that BA fly to and from do matter...or would you have BA fail and put thousands out of work? Many companies go with the lesser of two evils because it’s the easier and safe option. Flip the argument to a female BA flight attendant flying to the Middle East, does she have to conform to cultural dress codes?

That’s like saying it would be ok for a woman to have a beard because a man can. Would that go down well at a customer service desk??

Bun fight!

Man bun hairstyle 'gets British Airways worker the sack'.JPG

A company regulating your hairstyle, tattoos or piercings is them controlling your body. That should be an uncrossable line.

It's actually a company regulating their own image, not his.

BA didn't control his body, they controlled his paycheck. And now they don't.

Life goes on.

Too right. BA has very high standards, and this person is well below the level required of a BA employee. If you want to wear your hair like that get another job.

"During the interview process, Mr Ouared said no one mentioned his hair, although managers did ask him about tattoos and piercings, which he does not have." Waitaminnit! So they hired him in spite of having his man bun at the interview? And nothing was said...and now they want him to cut it...sounds like he has grounds for a lawsuit to me.

He knows the employers dress code he signed on to that at hire--either comply..or don't and risk your job.

Not a fan of the man bun but it's neat and conforms to the stated rules. Can't see why it should be a problem.

Guys with long hair have 3 options to contain their hair, a braid, ponytail, or a bun. Much like women.
This whole "issue" is ridiculous.
Its HAIR, its clean, out of his face, does not create a safety issue, so leave it alone.

How did he get the job in the first place? His hair hasn't grown that long in a month, so who employed him in the first place?