Mamma Mia fan with dementia offered private film showing

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I think there should be special sing-along showings of that movie. I know there are people without dementia who love to sing along to musicals too!

Audience members complained about Shirley singing along to Mamma Mia, so a cinema gave her private screening — where she sang her heart out.

We just had one here in Tucson! They also just had one for Moana and The Greatest Showman. Local theaters are the best for things like this.

I think there should be special showings for people who don't want to sing along.

Cineworld Middlesbrough hold monthly dementia friendly showings of films. The wait til everyone is seated and ready and pause the film half way through so carers can check and take them to the toilet etc. They don't re-start the film until everyone is ready.

Every time I go I tweet about it Susan. Yes you have to pay, but carers to free, and it is a business. There's not enough to that they make a great profit, and they still have to pay for staff, cleaners, projectionist etc. But yes, I wish cineworld would adopt the idea throughout the country.

I was fortunate to attend this viewing and it was fantastic it was really nice to see some dancing and singing without judgement well done to Cineworld had a brilliant time.

I do understand the audience, I've been to a show where a group of women were fairly drunk and they sung so loudly and badly that you couldn't actually hear the performers on stage ( I know there's no comparison to this lady but how are the people around supposed to know what her condition is) Fantastic response from the cinema and really glad she could go and sing to her hearts content.

When I went to see Mamma Mia I was surprised the audience wasn't singing along to the songs, didn't stop me though!

Theatres in the US have what are called "sensory friendly" movie showings. Kids and adults whose behavior would be disruptive to patrons are welcome. Theatres also usually reduce the movie volume and keep the lights brighter. Showings are usually animated films but some theatres have made all their weekday matinees "sensory friendly". It's great for parents of kids with special needs, like me, but I'd never thought of it for dementia patients. I hope theatres in the UK consider doing the same.

If I was in the cinema, I would have told the people around her to sod off and joined in with her! I couldn’t help dancing along in my seat and found it so hard not to sing along. Well done Cineworld!

Two things.
1. People need to judge less, we don't know why certain things are happening. Care a bit more, show some empathy. Is singing to a musical really that bad.
2. Well done to that cinema, a perfect solution. Maybe more cinemas should take note. Our local cinema has a young children's screening, Maybe screenings for older people with dementia should be considered a regular thing, means all family members can relax and enjoy.

This story breaks my heart as I have just returned home from being in the UK & arranging ,along with his son & daughter, to place my brother in a facility as he has early onset Alzheimer's. A dreadful disease that is taking away his memories, his personality, his past ,present & future .A little understanding & compassion is needed because none of us are certain that it won't happen to us or a family member.

Not enjoying people singing along - ever. Can’t stand it.

She should come to Skiathos where she could not only sing her heart out but get up and dance too in the open air cinema.

One if our independent cinemas in sheffield does parent and baby screenings, dementia screenings and screenings that are autism friendly.

Well, I think if you go to Mamma Mia, you are the type of person who loves life, song and having the craic! Sure I'd have been up with her!!!

This was fantastic for the cinema to do. Thank you so much. Music is so important and meaningful for dementia patients.

Mamma Mia fan with dementia offered private film showing.JPG

I understand why the audience felt that way...it's common courtesy to be quiet so others can watch a movie, especially if you're in public.

I understand that special needs people can't necessarily do that, and that's one of the reasons why I usually wait until a movie has been out for a while to see it (less people to deal with) or I wait until it comes out on DVD (this is coming from someone who worked at a movie theater in high school and college...I know how difficult movie patrons can be...and I'm not talking about special needs people, I'm talking about people who choose to be obnoxious).

I appreciate that there are screenings for young children and disabled/special needs people. I also appreciate being able to watch the movie I paid for with people who are capable of behaving appropriately. I understand that some can't, which is why we need more screenings that permit less restrained behavior. They should be able to to be in a place where they can enjoy themselves, but others who want to watch the movie in a quiet room should be able to expect that, too. I hope to see more showings that will cater to both types of demand.

Sing-along screenings for everyone could be fun, too!

When my friend and I went to the live theatre Mama Mia in Florida, the whole audience were singing it was wonderful.

Wonderful! If people could see the animation on the faces of people with dementia when they're listening to familiar music, they might have a little more compassion.

That’s restored my faith in humanity, my Mother has Alzheimer’s and Mama Mia is one of her favourites she’ll watch the dvd on a loop, I’ve been worried about taking her to see the newly released sequel for this exact reason..... but I think she will love it
🙏 thank you for sharing this story x.