Disposable nappies: What's their environmental cost?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Is that compared to the energy used to boil wash , detergent , bleach and dry cloth nappies?

The best thing you can do for the environment is not have children. Sorry but it's true.

Hard pass. Having a kid is enough work, never mind extra laundry and poo handling. Sorry environment, you'll have to take one for the team in this case.

More people should try re-usable cloth nappies, but some people are too lazy to bother. Rather pollute the planet that their child will grow up on, by taking about 500 years for each nappy to biodegrade.....

What's wrong with good old terry nappies!!!

I got my terry nappies in 1966, used them for both children . No washing machine, so used nappisan, boiled them if necessary in a zinc bucket on a baby belling, small wringer to fix on the sink. I initially lived 4 floors up, was studying full time, and we coped very well. I have gradually used the nappies up as excellent floor cloths ever since, but sadly after 52 years am now down to the last one! Good value for the initial outlay! I get very angry seeing used disposables in public parks, car parks, roadside verges and on beaches. That is GROSS, lazy, and unhealthy, certainly not ecologically sound.

I misread that as, "disposable nipples," and was confused. Should really keep my reading glasses handy.

Not in my house! I only use real nappies or green ones, why wouldn’t you it’s so easy to do. I have a nappy laundry service so it wasn’t even expensive. I also used glass feeding bottles. My children are 17yrs and 14yrs old now and I’m so pleased that I did the right thing for the environment and their future.

I find it strange that these days manufacturers are able to sell these and other "landfill" products with no recourse. If they were fined for the disposal of each product I am sure new biodegradable materials would be found very quickly?

Cloth diapers are awesome! I cloth diapered all 3 of my kiddos with the same diapers. Better for baby, the environment, and your wallet. Plus you never run out!

I used cloth nappies for my first two babies in 1967 and 1968, used them for a while with my youngest 1977, when i stopped using them i used them for floor cloths, dusters and washing up cloths, they lasted for years.

I’ve three kids over the age of 22. All had the disposable nappies because I was told that they were cheaper than cottons after you counted cost of washing, etc... and I was a full time working mum. Now I know the cost to the environment, I can assure you that I would certainly go for cotton nappies if I had another round of kids. No question!

I calculated that I contributed 15,000 disposable nappies for my twins 17-19 years ago. I have always been ashamed about this.

If there isn't anything toxic in them it's just moving stuff from one place to another.
There are far far more important environmental issues to deal with.

Im keeping my disposable diapers until you all stop driving fuel power cars.

Buy a potty and use it, saves loads of nappies going to land fill.

The main problem is keeping children in nappies until they go to pre school..... yes mine had terrytowel nappies and the whole napisan bucket, muslin liners that you "flushed" the contents off down the loo. And I did work part time too. But my 3 were out of nappies by 18 months old.. all this late toilet training was suggested by the disposable nappy companies..... obviously so young mums would keep buying them. How much does it cost ? 3 or 4 nappies a day? X 365 days = 1,460 nappies a year..give or take... X 4 years = 5,840 nappies. 6000 to be safe. Per child.... thats a lot of money and a lot if land fill. As opposed to less than 2 years in terry nappys. AND no land fill. Sitting them on the potty after a meal takes a few minutes. Could save money and landfill.

Disposable nappies What's their environmental cost.JPG

And if we return to washable nappies they will whinge about water wastage.

We as a whole race of human being need to start to take responsibility for what we are doing to our wonderful mother earth ....

I think the government needs to put the onus on the nappy makers to make disposable all nappies biodegrade.

save the Earth, Dont give birth.

If you care so much then volenteer to wash people's cloth nappies for free. Your payment is the environment.

Disposables should only be used when not at home.