Choosing to die before dementia takes over

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Very strange we euthanize animals who are suffering but we refuse to let competent consenting adults end their own lives.

My wife was a dementia nurse and her biggest fear was ending up like her patients. But as life will have it that is exactly what happened. In April 2017 she was diagnosed with multiple tumors in her brain. by mid July she didnt even remember who she was anymore. I pleaded with the doctors to do something. Then in August she was sent to a community hospital as there were no hospice beds available. As luck would have it after 10 days she saw a doctor who had worked with her and he put her on a pain driver even though she was in no pain and stopped her insulin and other meds. she passed 3 days later peacefully. I have nothing but gratitude for her colleague who effectively euthanised her. It ended not only her suffering but mine and her kids too.

Death with dignity.

Everyone should have the right to choose.I have nothing but admiration for Annie.If I am diagnosed with Dementia I hope that I would be able to make the same decision!

I think it’s a beautiful way to die. No pain, with comfort, surrounded by loved ones and entirely at your own discretion. I’d like to go this way.

I am planning on doing this. I find it cruel that we can euthanize our pets but we are expected to live with dementia and horrible quality of life because it makes other people uncomfortable.
I get to decide. I am healthy now and maybe it will never be an issue but I should get to determine when and if I end my life.

Dementia runs in my family and I strongly feel like I want to have the option to end my life before it destroys me and puts my family through hell emotionally and financially.

Assisted suicide should be an option for anyone. That's true compassion..

Releasing someone is an unselfish loving act.

I watch my dad slowly die from dementia. I would definitely choose to do what Annie is doing.

No matter how this is dressed... this is assisted suicide
It’s not God’s will.

My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at 48 and died at 52. She went through hell, losing every part of herself that made her who she was. Watching her get worse was the most horrendous experience of my life. I remember sitting with her one day and thinking to myself if the day comes I ever get diagnosed with this awful disease I want the right to end my life. I want to die while I still recognise the ones I love and want them with me when I go.
I'm a supporter of the right to die. I hope one day the UK will allow this. Give people a choice to die with dignity.

Choosing to die before dementia takes over.jpg

Dementia needs more research it is a horrific disease. People should have the right to end their life to avoid the shocking impact that deterioration involves.

I do think there may be many dementia sufferers reading this who may still have some pleasurable times left who will feel guilted/pressured into leaving early for fear of being a burden. I’ve nursed my mother through it and am nursing my father. I want and wanted them to be happy. Almost every single comment is encouraging people to do it. I feel terrified of this pressure, both for them and for me. I respect their wishes but when they no longer have capacity and have not mentioned euthanasia it feels like everyone is collectively agreeing to bump them off. I want to cling on to every shred of life, as my parents have done. Yes it’s been messy, occasionally undignified but we have laughed and loved through it.

I believe we should all have the right to choose euthanasia in the UK.

I admire Annie and would consider same. Awful disease.

Dignity. Love. Compassion.

Brave lady! and I hope I can be as brave!! Do not want to put my kids thru what both my parents put us thru (they had no choice, so this is not being critical of them).

We are kinder to our animals, making sure they don't suffer.

About time Euthanasia was given a review in this country.

I know my dad prefered to die than to have alzheimer, but he did not, and his Last years he became this beautiful, lovely old man with the gaze and spirit of a Child. I wouldnt have missed it for the world.

My father had it, his 4 sisters had it and my brother just passed away on New Year’s Eve. I’m living with that fear.