Artist's Aboriginal portraits back in Tasmania after 170 years

admin

Administrator
Staff member
You britains have stolen a lot more than potraits... You guys survived on the riches of today's third world nations... That makes you people nothing but dogs surviving on the bones they robbed....

Woah
😂 go back in Time and say that, nothing can change the past we can only look forward.

Get over it.

Yups... I was talking about past only Clinton Butler.... I say there is more for british to be ashamed of than to be proud for the deeds they have done.

Jw were the Aztecs and Inca all good? What about the Zulu?

True, Sai. And not only British people but French, Spanish, Dutch, German, Italian, Russian, Turkish ones....

Don't punish the people of today for the actions committed by the people of the past.

Yes the British were barbaric in the past. But we were also the people who brought some of the first engineer's doctors nurse's to help many people around the world to. We built bridges for countries that didn't have the resources sent nurse's and doctors to help many people too and still do so before you slag my country of ask yourself what has British done for the third world in the past too.

why did the british exploit India's spices when they considered India inferior?

giving a knife with one hand to cut meat and make life easier, but, stealing the meat from the table on the other hand... So what's the point of giving the knife?... Facade is the right word for all your reasoning in your comment.

Because of British colonizing , the world now has a skin color complex. So theres that. Many wrongs want to be over looked and not one person has brought up the wrongs people are still facing lol. Not much has changed.

you keep saying "third world".... What do you think made them "third world"? Coz the british exploited them and then turned them into third world... And my guess is you would justify this by saying that these countries weren't better off earlier, but that is far from the fact.

I’m sorry for my ancestors rape & pillage of third world countries Not all of us believe it is anything to be proud of.

I'm British-Spanish and even agree with you, to be honest. I know I wasn't responsible for the horrors that happened, but I wish they hadn't nonetheless.
I hate how proud British people are of Commonwealth heritage... Do they even understand it?
We travel the world even today with such an awful attitude of superiority.

They went to your countries and taught you to be civilised.

No, we colonised their countries with fighting, rape and murder. We only saw our own customs as civilised and we classed anyone else as savages for not being the same.
That is shameful.

India, Australia, Canada - third world countries?

Yes , so what about Indians Asians and Muslims who rob Britain’s welfare system today.

The portraits have been kept in Britain, mostly in storage, since the 1840s.

Ok why Britain think they can loot someone's property & loan same loot back to the owner?
This happen almost all the British colonies. Why?

Created by an English man, commissioned by a British Official who presumably took them back to the UK. They have never belonged to the Aboriginals, so not sure how that would be called looting.

how can u say the sculpture/painting that belong to a group of people created by the colonial master who looted it?
Are you telling me that Bronze of Benin currently in Britain is owned by Britain?

So you honestly think that indigenous painting methods were coincidently the same as those that had been developed in Europe?

Nothing developed by Europe ok.
The Bronze of Benin is still in its original shape right now in British museum as i speak.
What are you talking about man.

I think you have mixed up two different strains of thought.

Kolawole Bright Fayanju the Benin Bronzes were created by the Edo as part of the Benin Empire. So those items belonged to Nigeria for hundreds of years. That the British have them is wrong and should be returned.
However, the fact remains that the drawings in this article were literally commissioned by a British subject who had the legal right to take his belongings with him when he returned to the UK. It’s like me being commissioned to take a photo of people I was visiting in Tasmania for someone in the UK and being told I wasn’t allowed to bring it back because that photo belongs to Tasmania. One has no bearing on the other. You can not compare the two as they’re are so completely different.

Artist's Aboriginal portraits back in Tasmania after 170 years.JPG

Why are they only on loan? Surely they should be donated to the museum in Tasmania?

Not an attractive race really are they.

Zambia is also waiting for the broken hillman skull, return it please.

I actually think they're both pretty attractive.

BBC please put a warning at the beginning of the text that states that there are images of deceased aboriginal people within the article, and blur the image or remove them so they are in the content only. Thanks.

India is also waiting for Kohinoor diamond, return it please.