Alligator attack on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, leaves woman dead

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Aren't we taught to hand over the money to a mugger because your life is more valuable than the $ or to hand over the keys to your car if carjacked because your life is more valuable than that car, Or leave your personal items when evacuating a crashed plane. So why didn't this woman let the dog go, since she can always get another dog but she can't get another life.

Dogs are a lot more than just money or things.

not more than your life.

Because for many people that dog is their family. It's like if you said "why don't you just let your daughter /son go".

A pet is more than money or a 'personal item'.

For a lot of people, their pets are their lives. It’s not just a replaceable cat or a dog, but an important and irreplaceable member of their family.

I hope the dog can fill the void of a lost parent or spouse .... I’m sure if she has kids they would rather have their mother than their dog .... animals are not the same thing no matter how you try and humanize them they aren’t the same.

She thought the gator would turn down more meat because it has two legs? Uhhhh...

Witnesses said she was trying to protect her dog from the alligator.

Athena sounds like she’s awesome at parties.

I am thanks for noticing .... sorry I understand the difference between an animal and a human and they huge difference they play in our lives.

dogs are great and painful to lose, but nothing compares to a human life. animals dont have souls.

I love my dog like he’s my child and I would put myself in danger to save his life. How is it twisted to love another living being? I pity you as clearly you haven’t experienced the joy and unconditional love a dog gives you.

Because dogs aren’t a “thing”, they’re family. My dogs are my children and I would give my life many times over to save them. If you don’t love them like they’re family, then you certainly don’t deserve the privilege of having one in your life.

Athena Scaglione
It is the same especially if you don’t have kids. How can judge what is more important to someone!

Yeah yeah we get that dogs are cute and have souls but I agree that you shouldn’t risk a life over the dog. Imagine what her family is going through and she could have her a new dog and learn to love it. Please don’t compare dogs to kids; I have had both. Kids are your blood and the dog isn’t.

first of all" am a christain so every thing i say is based on my belive. and the bible makes us to know that humans are greater than animals in all aspect of creation.

I doubt this woman had time to make a pro and con list of saving her dog versus running away. It was likely just an instinctual reaction. Another dog started rushing at my dog once, I didn't have a lot of time and my reaction was to put myself between the two. Not the smartest decision but I wasn't really thinking, it was just a feeling of "protect gwen". I'm guessing that is what happened to her.

Alligator attack on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, leaves woman dead.JPG

OK well thanks for the friend request but I will pass
☺️ yes I have seen those things and they have very basic explanations which don't require a supernatural deity. All the best to you.

Athena Scaglione Some people absolutely do equate their pets to their kids/family. Many people do not have big families, or are close to their families. A lot of people with severe anxiety or PTSD depend on their pets just to function in the world. Many people are just plain alone in the world. Your comment just reads as heartless.
The instinct to protect an innocent being that you love and cherish is normal... not twisted.

My pride is more important. No one or thing is taking family from me without a fight. Or even my wallet. If I got mugged I would overpower the attacker. If someone demanded my car keys, they would get them. Right through the eye. As for a plane crash, I would only take survival items. The gator? I would look for an opening to attack. Even if my dog was beyond saving, I would make the gator pay with it's life. A knife through an eye will kill 99.99% of most living threats. And yes, I would do all those things knowing I could die.

The cowardly die many deaths, whereas the brave taste death but once. I've been a coward before. Never again.

The only way to stop a bad guy with an alligator is a good guy with an alligator. Alligator-free zones just present a better target for alligator attacks. We need less alligator control and more people carrying concealed alligators in public.

We need to arm dogs with alligators!

I want an assault aligator with armor piercing teeth and modified jaws so it can bite faster and harder. I mean I need it to properly stop a bad guy with a normal aligator.

So by this logic, putting a sign that says "no alligators allowed", would be better than this lady carrying a gun she could have used to protect herself and her property?

I just don't get how this remark was percieved as clever. You could have at least said if she had a pet alligator, she may have had a better chance of survival.

Is Florida considering solving the gator problem? I learnt that wild animals shouldn’t live close to humans. Besides I’m saving up for Disney world but I’m scared to come across...

Why are people walking dogs near lagoons in Florida or South Carolina? Alligators, like most predators, look for an easy food source. I’m sorry but walking dogs like that is like fishing for them with bait. Sad but their own fault.

What was the point of killing the gator?

Oh, my gosh! That poor woman! That is actually heartbreaking. I understand the love she has for her dog, enough to risk her life for him/her. They, or any type of pet, really are our family.

Ain’t even gonna lie. I’d be that person on the news from Florida who tried to beat up an alligator to save my dog. I’d go all Steve Irwin (RIP) mixed with Dundee (based on the remake RIP) and end up dying doing what I loved: treating my dog better than I do my family.